Hair loss is a concern for men, women, children and pretty much everyone. It can make you run to some specialist’s clinic and lose your confidence. But there are obviously a lot of reasons behind it, a lot of remedies and a lot of prevention for it.
This blog is a compilation of causes, remedies, prevention and diet of hair fall. We have also listed some foods that you can take in order to reduce hair loss and increase hair growth.
Do’s and Don’ts in Hair Loss
The causes of hair fall and prevention
Stress is one of the causes of hair loss. If you take too much stress about your hair fall then it will result in amplifying the problem. So De-stress yourself.
2. Avoid brushing wet hair:
When hair is wet, it is in its weakest state. So avoid brushing wet hair because that would increase chances of hair loss.
3. Keep yourself hydrated:
The hair shaft comprises one quarter water so drink at least four to eight cups of water in a day to stay hydrated and for the growth of healthy hair.
4. Reduce Alcoholic Beverages:
If you are experiencing hair loss than lessen your alcohol intake because drinking alcohol reduces hair growth.
5. Avoid Smoking:
Smoking cigarettes reduces the amount of blood that flows to the scalp and this causes a reduction in hair growth.
6. Keep your head sweat free:
People with oily hair, experience dandruff during summer due to sweating and the chances of hair fall increases. Using shampoos that contains aloe vera and neem can keep the head cool and prevent from dandruff.
7. Keep away from chemicals:
Harsh chemicals and permanent hair color products could be damaging for hair health. When you are experiencing hair loss, it is advised not to color your hair.
8. Don’t Over Wash Your Hair:
If you wash your hair every single day, it will strip off the natural oils from your hair, leaving it dull, dry, and lackluster. How often should you wash your hair will depend on your activity level. Don’t let the grease and oil build up on your scalp, as not washing it enough can make your scalp scaly and itchy. The key is to figure out what is optimum for you.
9. Don’t Tie Your Hair Too Tight:
Tying your hair in tight ponytails, braids and headbands stretches the hair shaft, causing it to break
10. Don’t Swim Unprotected:
The chlorine or salty sea can strip the scalp’s natural oils out of your hair, leaving it unprotected, and in the long run cause lot of damage – drying it out, causing frail hair, and even altering the hair color.
Some Home Remedies For Hair Loss
1. Garlic juice, onion juice or ginger juice
Rub one of the juices on your scalp, leave it overnight and wash it out in the morning. Do it regularly for a week and you will see noticeable result.
2. Rub green tea into your hair
Studies have shown that rubbing green tea into hair may help curb hair loss problem. All you need to do is brew two bags of green tea in one cup of water, leave to cool and thereafter, apply it to your hair. Rinse your hair thoroughly after an hour. To see results, practice this regularly for a week to ten days.
3. Egg mask
To prepare the mask,
1. separate one egg white in a bowl and add a teaspoon each of olive oil and honey.
2. Beat to make a paste and apply it all over from root to tips.
3. After 20 minutes, rinse with a mild shampoo.
4. Licorice root
This herb prevents hair loss and further damage to the hair. It helps soothe the scalp and get rid of any dry flakes/dandruff.
1. Make a paste by adding a tablespoon of ground licorice root and a quarter teaspoon saffron to one cup milk.
2. Apply this to your scalp and hair length and leave it on overnight.
3. Next morning, wash your hair.
4. Repeat this twice a week.
5. Coconut Milk
To prepare the milk,
1. Grate a medium-sized coconut and simmer it in a pan for five minutes.
2. Strain and cool.
3. Then add one tablespoon each of crushed black pepper and fenugreek seeds to the milk. 4. Apply on your scalp and hair.
5. After 20 minutes, rinse with a shampoo.
6. Beetroot juice
1. Boil 7-8 beetroot leaves and grind along with 5-6 henna leaves.
2. Apply this paste on your scalp and leave for 15-20 minutes before rinsing with warm water.
7. Greek yogurt and honey
1. Mix 2 tablespoons of yogurt with 1 tablespoon of honey and lemon in a bowl.
2. Using a dye brush, apply this paste on the scalp and roots.
3. Leave it on for 30 minutes before rinsing with cold water.
4. Apply this paste once a week.
8. Aloe Vera
Aloe Vera is an effective home remedy for hair loss and to boost hair growth. It is also effective in reducing problems of scalp like itching and flaking.
1. Take the stalk of Aloe Vera and extract the pulp.
2. Apply it to your hair and scalp and leave it for about 45 minutes.
3. Rinse with normal water. You can do this three to four times a week to see better results.
Indian Gooseberry or Amla is another effective home remedy to stop hair fall. One of the causes is the deficiency of vitamin C, hence consuming amla will strengthen the hair follicles and help you to control it. Thanks to its anti-inflammatory and the exfoliating properties, amla helps promote faster growth of hair, maintain a healthy scalp and prevents premature greying.
1. You can mix lime juice and the amla powder to make a paste.
2. Massage it to your scalp and hair.
3. Use a shower cap to cover your head so that the paste doesn’t dry out.
4. Keep it for an hour and then rinse it off with normal water.
10. Onion Juice
- Blend the onion and strain the mixture to obtain the juice.
- Apply the juice to your scalp and leave it on for 30-60 minutes.
- Rinse it off with water.
11. Fenugreek Hair Mask
1. Soak them in water overnight
2. Grind them to a paste the next morning, and apply it to your hair and scalp
12. Curry Leaves
Curry leaves help in retaining the natural pigmentation of your hair while also stimulating hair growth
- Add a handful of curry leaves to half a cup of coconut oil and heat it in a saucepan.
- Once the mixture reduces to a black residue, switch off the stove and allow the oil to cool.
- Strain the oil to remove the leaves from the mixture.
- Apply the oil to your scalp and spread it through your hair. Leave it on for 30-60 minutes.
- Rinse it off with a mild shampoo.
- Follow up with a conditioner.
All these remedies can help reduce hair fall and may also reverse it if you follow them diligently. Remember, these remedies will take time to show results, so patience and consistency are key. In addition to the above remedies, here are some tips that may help prevent hair fall and damage.
Diet for healthy hair
A lack of the right nutrients including vitamins A, C, D and E, zinc, B vitamins, iron, biotin, protein and essential fatty acids may slow down hair growth or even cause hair loss. Foods rich in these nutrients help you reduce hair fall and increase hair growth.
These foods will help you increase hair growth and reduce hair fall.
8. Strawberries and guavas
10. Sweet potatoes
12. Fatty fish.
14. Sweet peppers